Careers at Swans
Swans has been a part of the community in Victoria for over 30 years, during that time many people have called Swans home, be it for a summer while in university or starting a career. We can’t say where it will lead you but it won’t be dull.
SUPPORT — Pub
This team helps to provide the backbone or support of many different roles. Servers, bartenders and the kitchen all depend on the support team. This position will provide you with an overall insight to the entire operation and act as a springboard for your next step. Ask anyone where they started and most will say here.
SERVER — Pub
As servers, we are a team comprised of a unique collection of personalities. We are not a cookie cutter establishment and therefore don’t provide cookie-cutter experiences.
BARTENDER — Pub
Most bars and pubs order their beer from a brewery, we are a brewery. We are not a one trick pony though, our in house sommelier pushes us to expand our wine knowledge and our love of spirits helps us to create through our cocktail program. The bar is the heart and soul of any pub so we look for people that compliment the bar.
1st, 2nd & 3rd COOK — Pub
We are not a gastropub. We are a food program that pushes itself because that’s what we love. We look for ideas in strange places and generally start by satisfying our own cravings. We are a certified ITA Red Seal Chef program for those who want to start a career, but also just a happy bunch of pirates.
DISHWASHER — Pub
The most important position in the kitchen and the place where every chef started.
SALES CLERK — Liquor Store
Being directly connected to a brewery means that our liquor store is immediately different, it doesn’t mean that beer is all we know though. All of our suppliers spend a lot of time and effort to create their products so we try and educate ourselves so that we can help to sell those products.
FRONT DESK — Hotel
Our front desk plays many roles for many people throughout the day. This position is literally the hub of the entire building. The pub, kitchen, liquor store and brewery all have daily interactions with the front desk, not to mention our hotel guests. This position is the ultimate host who makes everyone feel like they are in the right spot even if they are not.
HOUSEKEEPING — Hotel
Housekeeping is described as the work and organization of running a home. We strive to have our guests feel like this is their home and we take pride in sharing our home. We still like to have fun, so we mix in a bit of Fawlty Towers just to keep it interesting.
Liquor Store Manager / Purchaser —
Swans Liquor store is looking to hire a Store Manager / Purchaser
Swans Brewery, Pub & Hotel was founded in 1989. Our operation includes an on-site brewery, pub, hotel, full service liquor store and live music venue.
Swans offers extended health and dental benefits, in-house professional and leadership development, and subsidies for professional accreditation.
Swans Liquor Store is a fiscally responsible retailer of beverage alcohol that provides exemplary customer service, core values of service and works to provide excellent relationships and results with all of our partners. Working in this vibrant, creative and supportive team environment will see your knowledge and skills thrive to unparalleled levels.
The Store Manager / Purchaser would be required to have a thorough understanding of the industry and practical business fundamentals in order to align actions with established organizational objectives and goals. This is a high traffic, public relations position and contact with the public is a critical component requiring a focus on discovering, meeting and exceeding the needs of the customer.
The Store Manager / Purchaser is responsible for the management and purchasing of a major retail operation. This includes providing leadership and direction, controlling costs and maximizing revenue. Additional responsibilities of this position include good customer relations skills, supervision of staff, developing teamwork, maintaining good staff morale, controlling employment costs, and analyzing and producing reports. In addition, the Store Manager / Purchaser is responsible for controlling stock levels and stock variance control and is accountable for ensuring acceptable levels of security in the store for both staff and physical assets. The Store Manager / Purchaser is expected to contribute to improve the store’s image by providing support to all Swans policies. The Store Manager / Purchaser is responsible for the hiring, training and development of staff, scheduling assignments and any labour relations matters.
The Store Manager / Purchaser will provide an exciting, professional, and interesting shopping experience, one that facilitates and is conducive to repeat business by providing a high level of customer service. This role will facilitate staff educational sessions and tastings to maximize transaction values through sharing effective selling techniques. It is the Store Manager / Purchaser’s role to enhance the retail environment with In-store Marketing Program and generating displays. They will also be responsible for managing effective product portfolios, consistent with industry and demographic trends, to maximize revenue generating potential. The Store Manager / Purchaser will act as an educational product information resource for staff and customers.
This position would guide others to inspire top performance by providing leadership and direction to create a high-performing work environment that maximizes sales, controls costs through effective resource planning and inventory control and maintains a high level of customer centric focus.
This position may require lifting liquor cases up to 50 lbs. to varying heights, standing at a cash register for extended periods of time and performing warehouse duties, including frequent bending and standing. Candidates may also operate a variety of mechanical and hand-operated equipment. Contact with the public and clerical duties are also critical components of this position. Successful completion of Serving It Right™ certification will be required prior to confirmation of any appointments of this position. Work is performed in a multi-shift retail operation.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills required.
- Knowledge of office processes, procedures, and technology.
- Product knowledge is an asset. WSET or ISG training.
- Strong people skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Team player with strong communication skills.
- Positive attitude and top notch customer service skills.
- A desire for continued education.
- Sales experience
Education and Experience:
- 2 years of recent experience with 1 year of supervisory in a customer facing, service oriented environment
- Experience must include direct accountability for driving and achieving sales.
- Experience with KPI’s and Visual Presentation Standards
- Successful completion of a leadership or supervisory course
- Must include experience with customer service, supervising people and management of assets.
- Recent experience is defined as occurring within the past 5 years.
- Manage staff and assign duties
- Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors’ operations on sales
- Plan budgets and monitor revenues and expenses
- Recruit, hire and supervise staff and/or volunteers
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate daily operations
- Set the example through personal practice for exemplary customer service.
- Ensure customer needs are met, complaints are resolved, and service is personal yet efficient.
- Seek and recommend ways to improve customer service.
- Lead team activities and special projects as assigned by the General Manager while ensuring quality and meeting set timetables.
- Lead team members in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Lead and direct the work of other team members.
- Provide positive feedback and reinforcement to team members.
- Assist team members when needed.
- Provide support and serve as back-up to team members during peak periods or when scheduling conflicts arise.
- Set a positive example through actions AND words.
- Motivate Team Members through positive interaction, respect and with an honest desire to see them succeed.
Sales, Merchandising and the Store
- Maintain store appearance and product presentation to company standards.
- Lead and train display building.
- Keep product stocked.
- Make sure labels are on all product.
- Work to create sales budgets and targets
What do you bring to our Team?
- You are deeply customer-centric approach and love spending time on the store floor engaging with our patrons.
- You are a leader in support of the community for the greater good.
- You provide daily feedback and mentor in the moment to enable our hardworking and diverse team members.
- You are accountable, have a keen eye for numbers with a plan to engage the team and grow the business. You’re known for precision execution in your store.
- You have 2 years or more of retail experience in dynamic and progressive roles such as Store Manager, Assistant Manager, Trainer, Departmental Manager, or District Manager.
- You are known for your leadership, business savvy, relationships, and self-management.
- You have a high school diploma or the equivalent experience. A college diploma, certificate or university degree in business or retail management would be even better.
- You collaborate, are a visible leader and available to work some evenings and weekends.
If you are interested in applying for this position please email your resume to Mike Boyle at firstname.lastname@example.org